Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Will writing ever be fun again?

It's sad and pathetic that I've been unable to write since January.

Well, that's not true.  In fact, I've written A LOT since then, just nothing pertaining to my blog.

Woe is me...

I'm on Spring Break and I am not in Florida or Lake Havasu.  I am here, typing away.

Ok, not gonna lie, I am sneaking away next week but it sounds so much better if I act like I am really toughing it out...

So I'm taking just a few minutes to return to the place where I feel the most comfortable, the place where the love and support I need seems to find its way right to me through the responses from you-
my friends and family.

YOU are the audience that gets me.  YOU are the audience that wants more and yet what have I done?  I've gone and abandoned you in favor of pursuing my MFA.  Why? So I can be a better writer of course.  But then again, doesn't that also suppose that I should, in fact...be writing?

Well again, I have been, but not in the usual form.  I have been writing fun little essays known as "literary analyses" or what our Professor deems "reaction papers."  This is uncharted territory for me since most of my background has been writing in a journalistic fashion.  Here I thought when I started this endeavor I'd be writin' fiction.  Boy, was I ever wrong.

I have written some pretty decent little pieces and workshopped them in class.  Heck, one time I even lost my shit and started crying the very first night after reading my own work.  That was fun...making everyone uncomfortable, squirmy, letting my classmates wonder if I was going to end up in a shambles after every class. I like to keep them guessing.

I must say, I have been able to hold it together since that first night and have managed to read my work without shedding a single tear (so far, the semester isn't over yet).  And everyone seems to have forgotten the overt display of emotion that first fateful night.  Lucky me.

No, really what's been happening is that I have been reading some pretty amazing books and getting to meet the writers.  In as much as I hate writing these reaction papers, I have completely enjoyed the experience of seeing these people speak, understanding them just a little bit better and realizing that they  are real faces behind the words.

So I'm getting ready for my midterm now and I'm not gonna lie, it's daunting.  I am learning a lot so there is that...not only about writing but also about myself.

This process has been challenging, no doubt.  I am really figuring out what I am made of and I am pretty proud of myself for tackling this in the midst of my ordinary life-which is filled with an abundance of love and friendship, also with carpools and lessons and parties and homework.

I signed up for this, every single bit.  So dear friends, I will continue this journey and try to figure out ways to entertain you as I go along.  And if any of you are interested in reading what I have been working on other than the essays, let me know.  I can post something right here on my blog if I am so inclined.

Thanks again and again for your support as I would not be here without you!

And guess what?

To answer my own question...You have made writing fun again!

Happy Hump Day Folks!

Enjoy your Spring Break wherever it takes you and Happy Easter!

2 comments:

  1. As you know, I've been "blogging" for well over 7 years. There was a point where I 'felt' like I had to write every single day. I posted some crazy nonsense. And while some would go back & delete it, I chose to leave it up. It was confirmation of my OCD. I eventually found my flow and writing no longer owned me. I owned it. I mean, it is an expression of self when we blog. But as of August when my world spiraled out of control, I chose to stop. Actually, I was physically forced to. All of the thing I wanted to share, I couldn't. They were far too painful and fresh. It's been 7 long months but I did it. I finally wrote. It was amazing too!!!

    It's safe to say...I'm baaaaack! I'm glad that YOU found the F U N in writing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up. Tell me more. So proud of you...I also have two boys and husband and I can't even imagine if I went back to school how everything would come together each day for my family. Kudos to you my friend.
    ~Alicia

    ReplyDelete