Monday, August 27, 2012

School Daze

Well, my summer is officially over.  Not because my kids are back in school but on the contrary, because I am.

Today marks the day I find myself once again, sitting in a classroom.  But now, I am a grad student. It's not my first time at the rodeo, but this is definitely a new horse.   I am filled with excitement and nervous energy.  I really don't know what to expect and can you believe this, I haven't even figured out what to wear yet!

When I told Holly, one of my oldest and best friends, that I had already emailed my professor to ask if I should prepare for the first day by reading one of the 13 books assigned, her response was this "Let the ass kissing begin.  You know, all the other students are gonna hate you.  You will be that one in the front, raising your hand and making the rest of them look like idiots."  To which I replied "Holl, don't be ridiculous.  This is graduate school.  Most of these people are working professionals, not fresh college grads in pursuit of a creative writing MFA." 

Then I remembered when I picked up my parking permit and was asked casually by the security guard, if I would like the fee deducted out of my faculty payroll.  

Hmmmmmm

What if I am the oldest, anxiously waving my hand waiting to be called on?  What if I am the one geeking out in the front of the class, taking notes at break-neck speed?  What if-gasp-I am older than my professor?  Yikes, it's possible.  At 35 I was older than one of my teachers so I suspect that I may run into the same situation here.  I am fairly certain that one of them is considerably older than I, since he graduated from college in 1978. Unless, of course, he is the Doogie Howser of the literary world.  

And yes, I read his bio. Never hurts to be prepared.

So as I sit here typing away, I am wondering what this day holds for me.  I know that I will head off to yoga in an hour, to calm my frazzled nerves a smidge.  After lunch (if I can eat) I plan on leaving for school with plenty of time to find parking and get myself acclimated to the campus.  I missed "new kid" orientation but I figured once again, I might be mistaken for an R.A., a house mother or a member of the faculty  welcoming committee.  After the parking permit incident, I thought it best to sit that one out.

Wish me luck as I embark on this adventure.  One that is sure to be filled with surprises and reality checks.  

And I want to thank each one of you who have supported and inspired me to follow my dream of writing and returning to school to pursue that dream.  Most importantly, I want to thank my family and my husband Chris.  Honey, you are amazing and I am so grateful that I have your love and support.  You ROCK and you ARE my rock.

And as far as my blog goes, well perhaps it will take on a new shape.  One that is filled with my adventures as a wide eyed graduate student at the tender age of 40.  

I am not above brown-nosing to be the teacher's pet so as Holly would say...Let the arm waving and ass kissing begin.  







No comments:

Post a Comment