Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Deadlines...

It seems like I got nothin' but deadlines these days.

First, I apologize for not posting more often, for I am humbled to know that there are a few people who do enjoy reading my blog and care about what I have to say.  But alas, my absence is for the good....I hope.

I am in the process of applying to graduate school.  My intentions are to be admitted and start in the Fall of 2012 which is just a few short months away!
So the application process alone is full of work and deadlines so I haven't been able to write nearly as much as I would like, save for the BOOK I have actually started.

Yes, it's true.  I have been pouring my energy into writing a very exciting project.  With any luck I will see my manuscript actually published one day. I have completed eight and a half pages so far, which is better than I thought I had done so that gives me tremendous hope that I will continue to have a free flowing brain, filled with ideas that will make this literary piece both entertaining and insightful.  That, and I will get admitted to graduate school based on my ability to write creatively.

Deadlines are good.  They give us boundaries and guidelines.  That's one of the reasons I wanted to go back to school in the first place.  I am not a very good boss to myself.  I have great intentions but can get distracted.  Things like chores, bills, yoga, taking the kids to practice, swimming and dance, tend to get in the way of my ambitions. Good thing I know the boss, she's not gonna fire me anyway, no one else wants the job.

So deadlines for me = good.  I work better under pressure, I see the light and love to work toward the end result.  Clearly, I am no good at enforcing said deadlines on myself...as you might remember I was supposed to FINISH writing a book by the time I was 40.  Well that birthday is in three weeks and while my intentions have been good, the boss knows I am a slacker at times.  I guess I will have to settle for 3-5 chapters.  Hey, it's a start...

So going back to school means that I will once again, have expectations and deadlines set for me.  I will hone my craft, become a "good" writer, and be able to work as a professor at community colleges and four year universities if I choose to apply (and really, if they hire me, right?).  That, and I will have a pretty nice little degree to hang on my wall.  

I am a lover of school and only wish I had been this devoted as a kid.  But this seems to be my lot in life to be a student as an adult and I love it.  We all find our groove at some point, right? 

So forgive my absence as of late and know that while my posts may become even less frequent than before, understand that I am busy pouring my heart, soul and creative energy into my future as a writer and author, and hopefully creating a little something you might enjoy later on.

Fear nothing for I will not abandon you, my loyal readers.  As soon as I get those 25 pages finished, I will return. 

And thankfully, I've got a deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment