Saturday, May 14, 2011

Writer's Block

I love to write.
And as a result of that, here I sit…stumped.
Writer’s block, a good old-fashioned case.
My cat is perched above my shoulders doing a balancing act on the back of my leather chair.  Perhaps her constant purring (that’s her way of nagging) and jumping around me and the keyboard will provide some sort of profound idea that will allow me to run my fingers at lightning speed, spewing out words that can shape and mold the minds of others.  Nah, instead it just means I need to feed her.
So here I sit.
They say that in order to become an expert at something, well anything, one must spend at least 10,000 hours devoted to practice, then end result: EXPERTISE.     
Well I can assure you that I have probably spent double that writing and I wouldn’t call myself an expert by any means.  I would really like to know who “they” are and exactly how “they” came up with that number!
The fact of the matter is that I want to be a writer therefore I must write.  Even if it seems nonsensical and trivial, I will soldier on because that’s what the experts say on becoming an expert, right?
So here I sit.
I’ve just glanced at the clock and I see that it’s now 6:54 a.m.  One thing I am discovering, I am feeling my most inspired and creative in the early morning hours.  If I am able to get up ahead of the rest, I might actually begin to produce some quality work. 
Yesterday I was up at 5:30.  I started my book.  I will be interested to see how it takes shape, what direction it goes and where I will end up.  I suppose this means I will need to forfeit Seinfeld reruns at 10:00 and devote myself to an earlier bed time.  That’s ok, if I am going to take a stab at this writing thing, I am willing to make certain sacrifices, even if it means I don’t get to see the Soup Nazi on a Wednesday night.
The cat is still purring (nagging) and the troops will be up soon so I am signing off…
Well, would you look at that? 
Here I sat, and wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment